Monday, September 21, 2009

Quinceñera

On Saturday September 19 of 2009, I was part of a Mexican tradition known as a Quinceñera. It is the coming of age 15th Birthday party for teen girls of Mexican descent and very similar to a Sweet 16 party that Americans usually celebrate. This is an important stage of a girl's life because it marks the transition from a girl to a young lady. The event starts with a traditional ceremony, where the teen receives words of encouragement and gifts that symbolize different stages of her life. Gifts such as a doll, a Holy Bible, and a crown are some examples.

After the ceremony, the celebration really starts with a party where family and friends are invited. During the party, the teen is accompanied by a group of couples known as Chambelanes and Damas. They perform what is known as a Baltz, a dance that celebrates the girl's special birthday. That is followed by a toast to wish the girl a bright future and best of luck in all her future aspirations. Finally, the dance floor is open to everyone who wants to show off their moves and have a good time with the Quinceñera.

I was asked if I wanted to participate in the event for a girl from my church. I decided to accept the invite and help out. After 3 months of practicing, the day finally arrived for us to perform at our best. Not only did we have to do the Baltz, but the birthday girl also had us practice two surprise dances. In the end, I believe we did an excellent job. My only complaint was the malfunction of the CD that was used, which kept skipping while one of the three songs was playing. We kept our composure though and kept dancing until the song was over. As much as I enjoyed being part of this event, I would like to say that I am officially retiring from participating in Quinceñeras.

Vocabulary Words
Pernicious: highly injurious or destructive

Ameliorate: to make better or more tolerable

No comments:

Post a Comment