Monday, December 7, 2009

I am Officially an Uncle

On December 4 of 2009, my older sister gave birth to a baby girl. It was sooner than expected, as she was projected to have the baby around December 13. The baby's name is Barbara May Leyba. A couple of days before, my sister went to the hospital to get a check up on the pregnancy to see if everything was fine. The doctors recommended for her to stay there because she had high blood pressure and they wanted to monitor her health status. Soon thereafter, my mother and other sister also went to the hospital to give her company and support. She would end up being there until she gave birth. This was a better option than being rushed to the hospital at an unexpected time and with no one to help you. Her husband works in San Francisco and commutes by using BART.

On Friday afternoon, I got a call from my mom telling me to go to the hospital as the time was near for my sister to give birth. So I told my dad, got ready, and we were on our way to Kaiser. We arrived around 6:00pm and met my other sister at the waiting room. Not too long after, my mom returned to the waiting room with tears in her eyes. Obviously she was worried about the pregnancy and my sister's high blood pressure affecting the baby. I had the opportunity to go to the patient room where my sister was being treated. I told her that everything was going to be fine and that I would pray for her.

Apparently, the procedure was being delayed because the operation rooms were still full due to other emergencies. In addition, the medication to reduce pain was not helping my sister at all. The doctors concluded that she could not have a normal birth and had to have a C-section. As much as my sister did not want to do that, it was her only choice. After four hours of patiently waiting, the good news came that the procedure was complete and the baby was born. The newborn was beautiful in so many ways and I could not stop smiling as I was happy for my sister.

Vocabulary Words
Lief (adv.) - soon, gladly

Nimrod (n.) - idiot, jerk

No comments:

Post a Comment